Monday, July 13, 2015

I am currently reading a wonderful book called "The Glorious Cause.  The American Revolution, 1763-1789".  Just yesterday I finished the chapter describing the British attempt to cut off New England from the rest of the Colonies by traveling from Canada down the Hudson.  What to do after reading a chapter like that?!?!  Take a bike ride through Saratoga Battlefield of course!  The day was hot, near 90 with humidity levels to match.  Rides like this are termed by me as "ignorance is bliss"; I get the thought to go in my head and go I do, not once checking the weather or even that I haven't left my wallet at home on my desk.  About a mile into the ride the thunder off to the east gave great sounds of what the battlefield must have sounded like.  In fact when I first heard it my thought was "awesome, there are some folks recreating a battle; how exciting!"  I never did get wet, and the thunder and lightning were only close as I made it back to my car.  All in all a very enjoyable ride in my own (current) backyard.











This monument was erected in honor of Benedict Arnold who was shot in the leg during the battle that would eventually lead to the British surrender and stopping them from reaching Albany.  (This was erected after Benedict Arnold committed treason by going to fight for the British; there is something in the DNA of this country when it comes to Treason, there is no mention of this memorial being in his honor anywhere on the monument).


There's a storm coming!



What a shot : )

No comments:

Post a Comment